Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Our first ER visit... and it wasn't walker.




I think we have done pretty well so far in regards to Emeregency Room visits. Especially with a curious little boy like walker! This last week, Miyah was feeling warm and had a cough, so I took her to the doctor at the instacare. They said she had a cold and to use some vicks. We went to pick up Landen's mom from the airport (she flew out from Utah for the week- thats another post) and Miyah still felt feverish. That night she was really struggling to breathe and nothing was helping her. A new children's medical center just opened right by our house and we decided to take her there. Landen got home from work at about 11 and ate some dinner and we headed to the ER. Thankfully we had some great friends who kept walker for us. Thank you Brooke and Justin!! Right when we walked in the door about four people walked right up to us and asked what was going on. Upon hearing miyah breathe they immediately got her hooked up to check her oxygen levels and they were really low. They said she had stridor arrest which means her throat was basically closed off. They did a breathing treatment with some drug that starts with a D, I can't remember what it was because I thought all breathing treatments were albuterol. They told us (me, Julie and Landen) that we would be able to go home a couple hours after the treatment. Landen and Julie went home (we live about 5 minutes from the ER) to get walker and some sleep. It was about 130 by this time. A little after they left and I was holding miyah, she seemed to start to struggle breathing again. She was asleep so I tried to move her around a little and it got worse. I called the nurse in and she called the respitory doctor. He came in and told me it was how I was holding her so I moved her around again (she was asleep) and it didn't change. He just looked at me like "hmmmmm" and said let me go get the doctor. I thought we was a doctor??! But the other doctor came in and said something I didn't understand and the whole staff came in again and they decided to give her another treatment and admit her to the hospital. It was a rebound effect from the first treatment and meant it was going to make her alot worse. She was dehydrated at this point so we had to hook her up to an IV. This is the worst part!! They couldn't get her veins in either hand because she was so dehydrated and small. The medicine that was numbing her was "blowing" her veins so they couldn't use anything to numb her. I had to hold her down and she was screaming and shaking in pain. It was by far the worst thing I have experienced. They finally got her all hooked up and she was out cold from that struggle. It was so terrible- but at least they got her hydrated. We did cool mist until the ambulance could come and take us to the hospital ( this confused me at first but the place we went was just an emergency room and medical center- not equipped like a hospital, they have an excellent children's hospital in downtown Louisville called Kosair Children's Hospital, it's like primary childrens). The ambulance ride was actually very calm and it was comforting to me. The transport team was very informative and comforting. They said she would just get better from here on out. We brought her in just in time. Her throat was almost closed off but not quite. We stayed the night (it was 530am when we got there) in the hospital and the doctors and nurses were so great. Miyah seemed to make miraculous recovery. Everyone was amazed at how fast she getting better. They all had to come in with masks and gloves and capes because she was at risk for other diseases I guess. We had signs all over the door that were caution signs. She had a little crib that both sides raised and lowered and plastic walls could be lowered from the top. It was like a little cage really! Walker came and stayed for the day with grandma julie and LOVED it. he wanted to be in there the whole time and pretend to be a puppy. It was such a relief to see miyah breathing ok. It did scare me to bring her home because her cough was so bad but she is getting better. She still has a low grade fever and a cough but she is much better. I am so thankful for the priesthood and the fact that we live so close to the ER!!! It was a scary experience but enlightening as well. Everyone was so helpful and comforting and Miyah was so brave and strong! I love that little girl.

7 comments:

Kacie said...

Wow that is scary! It is so scary to have kids sick and in the hospital! I've had to do that before and overnight is a killer! Luckily you had help! I'm glad everything is ok!

Anonymous said...

Shoot girl!!! Im so sorry to hear your cute little stink was so sick! I hope things are looking up for you guys! That had to have been so scary! Your kids are so adorable! Tell Landen I said hi and that I miss him! You guys are the cutest!

JillEE said...

I'm sorry it was in the hospital, but man I love seeing pictures of that cute little thing. I'm glad she got through the scary part.

rickynkim said...

Wow that's so scary! I'm glad she is doing well. ER visits are never good. Glad you're home and on the mend!

Bobby and Amanda Lewis said...

Yikes! Glad to hear that everything ended up okay!

Crazy Me said...

That is so scary! It's hard to see your children in the ER and not know what is really going to happen, and it's hard not to be able to help them at all! I am glad you had all the resources there to help you though! Yay grandma Julie! Hope she is doing better now! :)

Fromm's said...

Oh Jen! I'm a respiratory therapist so I understand how scary and intense those situations can be. The drug they gave her was I'm sure Decadron. Its a steroid to lessen the inflamation in her throat. It usually does wonders.. I wil give you a little advice. Maybe they told you too, but usually once a child has croup they are more susceptible to it for the first few years(jax is), but if you put a humidifier in their room and let it run all the time it will help immensely! Especially in the dry winter months. i hope she is feeling better! you are more then welcome to call me anytime if you have questions.. So nice to have a children's hospital so close too!