Monday, January 26, 2009

Baby Bro-

Kevin turned 19 yesterday and Jill wrote a moving tribute~ I loved it so here is one of my own. Not as eloquent as hers- but still a tribute.

19 years ago my little brother was born. I was only six but I too remember walking out of good old Adams elementary. I think I was wearing my purple puffy coat. I remember looking at mom laying the hospital thinking I don't ever want to do that. Everyone was so excited though because Dad FINALLY got his boy.

Kevin had no chance of being a "normal" boy with four older sisters. His favorite song when he was about 5 was Shania Twain's "Man, I feel like a woman!" Along with the Lion King soundtrack- especially I just can't wait to be king. We couldn't get all the boy out of him though because he definitely had a TON of energy and loved to fight! He would be in the tub and we would say do tough guy and he would grit his teeth and put his arms up and flex them. It was so cute! He had the chubbiest cheeks with bright blue eyes and blonde hair.

He always wanted to come and play with me and my friends- which I hated at first but then really started to like him coming along. I had watched my older sisters protect me and lift me up and I felt like I could do that for Kev. I especially loved it when he came and played basketball at the college with me and everyone thought he was to little to play so I said he could be on my team and then he showed them up (and still does).

I have always been proud of him as my little brother but I am more so now than ever before. As basketball player, he has become better than I ever imagined him being, but more importantly, I am proud of the person he has become. Landen said just a few days ago, "wow kevin has really grown up!" I completely agree (well, except for when he tries to tackle me, then I realize he is still just a little kid). I am excited for him to go on his mission and show the world the gospel. He will be great wherever he goes.

I know I haven't always taught him the right things by my example, but I hope he knows how much I love him and how proud I am of him. I know he will make the right choices in his life because he has learned the right principles.

Love you Kev.

ps. The playlist is Kev's. I had papercut on there but couldn't justify it... the whole good example thing.

2 comments:

JillEE said...

I was demonstrating Kevin's "tough guy" for Jeremy last night and we were laughing really hard.

JenLish said...

i bet you do a good tough guy~