Friday, June 13, 2008

Star of the West

Hey everyone! I have had a really busy week! It has been a lot of fun though. I finally took some of my family's advice and auditioned for a singing competition called star of the west. I decided to do it the day before the auditions so I didn't have a lot of practice time!
The competition goes like this:
1. Closed auditions with three judges
2. Judges pick the top 5 to move on the next level of competition
3. judges pick top 2 to go on to semi finals
4. Judges pick the finalists who will open for Kelly Pickler on July 24th. I think this is where they pick the winner.

GRAND PRIZE:
1: A fully produced album consisting of at least 12 songs arranged by top studio musicians, Star of the West staff will determine what songs are to be recorded and make any and all determinations relative to the artistic nature of all aspects of such album. The winner will receive 300 CDs of the album.
2. $1,000 Cash Prize (subject to forfeiture for failure to perform or meet appearance schedules)
3. Performances will be scheduled to promote Star of the West Contest.

So it's a pretty big deal. I made it through step one and performed step two last night. I had quite the struggle picking me song because I didn't have very many choices of karaoke music (one CD of wedding songs). I chose It feels like home. It was a good song but not very entertaining- and I knew it. After listening to everyone do their mic checks (you sing half the song to make sure that the sound is good) I was really nervous because i had really never heard so many good singers in my life.

I thought I did ok. Definately not the greatest performance of my life- but it wasn't bad either. Everyone there told me they thought i did well- but they were all my family... so take that for what it's worth. I picked out a girl and a guy that did really well that i thought would win. When they told us all to come up to the front, I was really excited! The two people I chose won. I had a feeling that i wasn't going to win but it was so much fun being there and singing again. They announced after that this was the best competition they had ever had in star of the west! They want us to submit a song for the final to see if we could be chosen so sing again. So it ain't over yet!! I need some suggestions for a song to sing. Probably a faster more entertaining song would be better. But it was really fun to get back up in the saddle.

SO there is the low down on my contest. I will keep you all posted as to what they say about performing again!

Thanks so much to Landen for coming! He was so sweet and supportive. My mom and sister drove all the way to logan from salt lake to be there and Landen's mom drove her Yukon so that we could all fit. Then his sister showed up from Hyde Park (close to logan)with Irelynd to watch too!! I have the best family ever!!!

love
jen

7 comments:

Kacie said...

Awesome job Jen! Congrats on making it through the first round I couldn't have done that! It's harder to follow your dreams when you become a mom, but I'm glad to see you did!

Kacie

JenLish said...

Thanks kac. It's funny cuz I have thought about doing a lot of different things with music but haven't ever followed through with it. I love music and I do want to share it, but there are so many reasons not to, you know? Definately motherhood is my first and foremost priority and responsibility but if I wanna sing, that's ok too. I guess what I am trying to say is, thanks for telling me good job!

jl

Michelle said...

Wow. That is so awesome you made it to the top 5! I bet there were tons of people that tried out so that is a great accomplishment in and of itself! Good Job, Jen! I'm glad you found my blog, because now I've found yours! I had no idea you had one. You never announced it on the family website like everyone else.:) Anyways, glad to see everything is going great for you guys!

belle la vie- Kristen Archer said...

How fun! I love to sing. That sounds awesome! Good job!!! I think it's hard to get up and sing in front of people when you haven't done it for a while! Good for you! You'll do great!

Jeff~Josee~Macie~Emry said...

Hey Guys! Your little guy is getting so big! We never get to see ya, isn't that sad, we live so close yet so far! Now we can at least see you in pictures! We finally joined the blogging world too, check us out! Hope to see ya soon!

Jenna Johnson said...

I Don't know if I left a comment but I randomly found your blog!!! How are you?? Where are you living!???

Bobby and Amanda Lewis said...

I love the new blog look, it is super cute. Where did you get it. cute family pic too!